Saturday, January 07, 2006

The paradox of having nothing to do.

Yes, I realize it's been a week, if not more, since I last posted. And it's not that I've been incredibly busy... To be perfectly honest, it's that I've been incredibly lazy. After all, I've only "worked" one day at the new job and am not scheduled again until the end of next week. I say "worked" because it was only orientation with a lot videos to watch, papers to fill out and computer learning stuff. Also, school doesn't start again until the 23rd so I have no studying to do. There's only so much daytime TV I can watch (in fact, I don't watch it, I'd rather the apartment be silent than watch soaps)

It's one of those crazy paradoxes where the less you have to do, the less you want to do. But the busier you are, the more you get done. So I've had very little to do and therefore have wanted to do very little. I spend my days trying to decide what to do, sometimes what to cook for myself. Seriously an entire day is planned around what I'm going to cook and whether I need to go to the grocery store for anything. Though it's great to cook for myself, it's sad that that constitutes my entire day. It better be one fantastic meal!

So you wonder why I'm not jumping for joy because of all the free time I have to knit right? Well let me tell you. I'm an thoroughly uninspired by what I'm working on. Mom's socks... completely unispiring. After all, I've knit a much cooler version of socks, only to rip them out. These are just plain, slightly boring and not nearly doing a good enough job keeping me interested.

I just want to knock them out so I can move on to something different. Preferably non-sock. Though I have a ton of sock yarn left, I think I need a bit of a break from the socks.

Lucky for me, my brother requested something while we were home for Christmas. Take a look at the yarn, it just came in.

Some of you might think "well, those are Harry Potter colors so you must be making one of those new HP scarves." Oh, dear reader, I wish that were true.

Instead they are the colors of my brother's favorite football team, the Washington Redskins, and he'd like me to make him a hat. I must be bored with socks, because I'm actually looking forward to knitting this hat!

Hopefully after the hat, I can move on to knitting a sweater. It has been far too long since I've knit myself a sweater! It is winter after all, I should be knitting a sweater.

Anyway, when I ordered this yarn from Knitpicks, I also ordered a bunch of their color cards so that I know what these colors actually look like in person. The computer screen is such an unrelyable gauge of color.

Look at this one for variegated sock yarn. Isn't that awesome how they knit up a swatch for you just so you can see how the colors look together. I may not be buying yarn from any other supplier! Ok, who am I fooling? There are so many good yarns out there, I can't just buy from one. Though I can when my yarn budget is next to nothing for the next year and a half. Ah, the joys of being a broke college student!

So I have some really exciting news. At least, it's exciting to me. But nothing's final yet so I really don't want to jinx it. Ah, what the hell. A plan is in the works right now for me to fly out to Colorado in February to visit a friend of mine! How cool is that? I've never been that far west. Though I've been all the way around to the other side when I went to China, I still haven't even seen the western part of the country I live in. Well, this will be my chance to go farther west than the Mississippi. Woohoo!

No comments: