Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The liberating effects of ripping.

First off, thank you everyone for your wonderful comments. I appreciate them all so much. If any of you are wondering, the pattern is from the Rowan knitting magazine #30, modified slightly to fit me better.

School has started and so far classes are excellent. In fact, at this point, I'm more stressed about my new job than I am about school. I feel like I may have bit off a bit more than I can chew. I knew it wasn't going to be easy at first, but I'm a perfectionist and it's really hard for me to accept that I'm just not that good at waitressing yet. My mom brought it to my attention that I've only been doing it for three days and I shouldn't be so hard on myself, but unfortunately, it's in my nature!

I realized today just why I might be so stressed and it has nothing to do with work. It has to do with the fact that I haven't knit a single stitch since I finished that sweater which was Sunday. I don't know about you, but I'm used to knitting at least a little bit everyday and when I go three or four days without knitting anything, my perspective goes a bit haywire.

So I picked up my needles and some sock yarn and cast on for a new pair of Jaywalkers. Ah, it felt so good to knit again! I wasn't even discouraged when I had to rip the whole thing out because of a mistake made almost at the beginning. In fact, it was sort of liberating! I knit all my stress into the beginning of that sock and ripping it out freed me. I'm definitely feeling better. And having a couple days off of work doesn't hurt either.

So next time you get stressed, find out how long it's been since you knit, and if it's been awhile, just put down what you're doing and knit! You may just find it'll be the best thing you can do for yourself!

No comments: