Thursday, May 12, 2005

Big News

While many of you (though not all) were having an amazing time in Maryland, for which I am supremely jealous, I have been pining away thinking of my next chance to go to a big fiber festival. Part of that led to me wondering when I'd be getting a spinning wheel of my very own. My mom had promised that it was going to be my birthday present, but my birthday is so far away (August). In persective, August really isn't as far away as I imagine it to be, yet far enough away for someone who has spinning on the brain and who really doesn't have the patience to wait that long.

So my mom, being the wonderful person that she is, decided that I should get my birthday present early. And it arrived last Thursday.

The excitement was more than I could even handle. In fact, instead of waiting like I know I should have, I put it together.

Though Ramses was pretty curious and interested in hanging around while I was working, he didn't help me put it together one bit, lazy cat...

I had decided a long time ago what I was going to do with my wheel because, lets be honest, it isn't the prettiest thing you've ever seen all unfinished like that. So I brought out my trusty paints and foam rubber stamps and made it gorgeous.

At least, I think it's gorgeous, here's a close up on the wheel.

I can definitely say that I am more than a little bit proud of the work that I did (and so modest too!) I used foam stamps for the leaves and freehanded the vines on it.

I have only had the chance to sit down and spin one time because I have been so busy with the chorus that I'm in. We have three concerts this weekend, and all this week has consisted of rehearsal upon rehearsal, when all I really want to do is SPIN!!!

My first attempt has turned out really nice too. I think a lot of that has to do with my work on the drop spindle. I really got a feel for the rythmn and the amount of fiber to let through, etc. So we'll see how my first skein of wheel-spun yarn turns out.

And just because I can, here's a little picture of me and two of our cats, you can barely see the second cat because she's black and so are my pants.

Here's Pookie in her favorite position...


I'm almost finished with the second sleeve of the Dale sweater and hopefully will be showing you a finished (or semi-finished) product soon!

No comments: