Thursday, July 28, 2005

Feelin' Lucky?

Yesterday was the company picnic and I must say we had just about the worst weather you can have for a summer picnic. I'm quite sure the sun decided to take the day off and go to the beach because all we had was rain and clouds. So unfortunately, much as I wanted to participate, the three-legged race and the egg toss were out. I can only imagine what those would have been like with half the company getting sloshed on free and, might I add cheap, beer. And let me just say, free and cheap are two totally different things when it comes to beer, and when mixed, bad results usually occur. Think back to just about any keg party you've ever been to and that about sums it up.

But it wasn't all bad. There was the raffle, where the prizes included such things as a mountain bike, knock-off Prada purses, and gift certificates to just about every over-priced resaurant in the area. We were all given ten tickets to place into any bag we wanted. Being the youngest person in the company, the only prizes I was really interested in were the mountain bike (though this was only slight interest because I haven't got a clue where I'd ride the thing), the $75 gift certificate to Best Buy, and the $50 gas card.

After the first 15 items were raffled off, it became quite apparent that our particular table was quite lucky. One woman won two items right off the bat and then everyone around me won at least once. I watched as the mountain bike and the Best Buy gift certificate were raffled off (again to people around me). Up next, the gas card. My friends were chanting my name cause they were sure I'd get it. I was not so sure having never won a raffle in my life.

The name was drawn and the woman called my name. I thought she was joking because of the chanting, but she wasn't. I couldn't believe it. That's two full tanks of gas for free. That is going to help with the commuting to class!

The excitement of the raffle was just about all I can stand so shortly after that I took off. I suppose if I'm forced to be at a company picnic it helps to win $50 dollars in free gas.

No comments: