Sunday, October 23, 2005

They're Finished!!!!

Finally, I've finished the socks that I've been working on since... um, I want to say July or August. I've just been so sidetracked with so many things since school started. Anyway, I'm wearing them right now and they are by far the most comfortable socks I've ever made. They're not itchy at all and they're so warm, which has come in handy this weekend with all the rainy, cold dampness we've had.

So, without further ado, I present to you my Mountain Colors socks.

Are they not fabulous? Umm, yeah, I'd say they are, but then I'm bias. I love how the striping turned out. They're not identical, which I also love. I know how some people like to have their stripes match, I'm not one who cares so much about that.

(Is it just me, or are socks that you're wearing really hard to photograph without contorting yourself into a pretzel?)

By the way, the sock yarn is Mountain Colors, I don't remember the colorway because it's been that long (how sad is that?) and the patten is from an old issue of Interweave Knits called Priscilla's Dream Socks. I love this pattern because it's very basic. You can do pretty much any pattern on the leg that you want, in any gauge of yarn for any size foot. It's fantastic. Plus, the short-rowed heels are awesome. I don't think I'll ever make another pair of socks that doesn't have short-rowed heels. Not only do I not like picking up stitches, but I also don't really like the look of the heel flap, so short-rows are perfect for me.

I also finished up spinning that 4 oz of Merino/Tencel. This yarn turned out awesome.

Despite how nice this yarn turned out and how awesome the colors are, I just don't think it would be all that suitable for socks. It's a little bit thick, and it's going to be very drapey and not hold it's shape too well because of the tencel. I'm thinking it's going to be destined for a nice scarf or something.

Last night, I spent of bit of time working on the ginormous mitten. I've added a few more rows and I'm almost to the point where I have to make the thumb and attatch it to the mitten.

I think I'm going to wait on that though. I'd like to try it out on my brother's hand before I go too much further. I'd hate to put all this effort in and have it not fit by the time I'm finished.

Nothing irks a knitter more than wasted effort.

This weekend has been awesome. It's been the first weekend in awhile where I haven't gone anywhere or done anything except knitting, sitting on my butt and watching movies (and a little bit of studying for a test, but I'm not going to count that). I have needed a weekend like this since school started. Ah devine relaxation! I'm afraid it's going to be the last one for awhile too.

Next weekend I'm volunteering at the zoo for their annual Zoo Boo. I get to dress up in a halloween costume and greet all the kids, etc. Should be fun. I've decided to go as a butterfly. My mom found a pair of wings for cheap and obviously cheap is good. The zoo has a butterfly house so guess where I've been stationed? The unfortunate thing about the butterfly house is it's more of big mesh tent than a house, so if it's raining, that "house" is going to do me no good. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it's a nice day!

No comments: