Thursday, October 20, 2005

H-I-P-P-O-P-O-T-A-M-U-S

Everyone has waited so patiently for my Rhinebeck pics and I finally have time to show you. First off, these are the wonderful ladies I went with (minus my mom who was taking the picture)
For some reason, we felt the need to drap ourselves in our fiber/yarn. When you're around that much crack fiber, you get a little loopy. Look at anyone's post from Rhinebeck, people were getting crazy!

I wondered to myself why I even brought the sweater I wore. It was freakin' warm most of the day! Not at all like last year. The weather just doesn't want to cooperate. When half the people in blogland want to show off their sweaters at Rhinebeck, the weather gods decide to make it warm... Not exactly sweater weather. But it's ok, we hadn't seen the sun for quite awhile so it was a nice change.

So you want to see the new additions to my stash?

I ended up with two 2oz hanks of Merino/Tencel roving from the Sheep Shed in colorway Magical and two in Berry. Also, a 4oz bunch of dyed corridale. I usually go for merino just because it's easy to spin, but I thought I'd try something different.


This may not be a huge haul, but, as they say, size doesn't matter... it's what you do with it...

I started spinning this merino/tencel in hopes of making a pair of socks. I'm just in a sock mood, and also Socktoberfest is on my mind. I can't wait to see how this yarn turns out when it's plyed. The colors are awesome and they're going to create some really interesting variegations.

Of course, I haven't got a clue whether this fiber combination will be good for socks, but it's worth a try right?

Again, time is against me. It seems I only have time to do any spinning or knitting on the weekends, and that's only on weekends when I don't have to study for exams... Speaking of exams, I have a bit of a funny story for you...

My animal management midterm was on Monday. My professor stressed to us before the test that spelling was important and that he wanted us to pay close attention to it. That's fine, because normally I'm very good at spelling so I didn't think it would be a problem for me. I study the spelling of animals that I knew would be hard to spell, like Przewalski's wild horse.

So I went through the exam without many problems. I knew there were a couple of things I may have gotten wrong, just stupid little mistakes, but I also knew I didn't make too many of those so I wasn't too worried. When I finished he test, my professor walked out with me to discuss the fact that he thought I would be perfect for the honors program at the school and to ask me if I was interested in pursuing that. Since I was in the honors program at my last college, I didn't think it would be a problem and I thanked him for considering me.

Then I went to my car and checked over my notes just to see if my stupid mistakes were really that stupid. Turns out they were. Remember back when I gave a presentation on the Hippo? I figured I didn't need to study that because I did some major research on that animal and I should know the information... well, I knew the information.... but I spelled hippopotamus wrong! OH MY GOD! Here I was being asked to be in the honors program and I spelled the name wrong of the animal I presented.... I'm thinking maybe my professor should reconsider....

It's ok though, I had a good laugh about it with my friends and it turns out it didn't make that much of a difference because I got a 95 on the test. It was just extremely funny and sort of ironic.

Well darlings, I must go, but I will leave you with an obligatory kitten picture....
Updated to add: I was informed that I spelled 'pursue' wrong which I've since changed....yeah, ok, so maybe I'm not all that great of a speller after all! Thanks Lynne!

No comments: