Monday, October 23, 2006

Where do I even begin?

I have so much to post about, it really isn't even funny!

I suppose I'll start with something that's last. I returned home from Rhinebeck to find a package sitting on my computer desk. Ellie sent me a care package!
Dark chocolate to bring out those happy-making endorphins (always a good thing!) Some very awesome stitch markers which I love, and a really sweet note.

I'm telling you if knitters (or fiber-loving people in general) ruled the world, it would be a much happier place. We all seem to care about each other even when we've never met! It just doesn't get better than that!

Thank you Ellie! I am touched by your thoughtfulness.

Speaking of knitters taking over the world (which they should) the knitbloggers meeting at Rhinebeck was enormous. I haven't got a clue how I missed it last year. I must have been looking in the wrong spot because 100+ women all gathered around like they know each other is hard to miss.

It was really nice to finally put faces to names, but I have to admit, I must read a lot of peoples blogs who don't go to Rhinebeck because I didn't meet even a fraction of the people that I read (I realized later that many of the blogs I read are midwestern knitters or Canadian knitters!) Despite all that, it was still very, very cool.

I didn't get to meet the Yarn Harlot though I did see her from far away. (I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to approaching psuedo-celebrities!)

After the big gathering, I met up with my bestest knit buddies, Jill and Liz. We had a great time going through the buildings, drooling over fibers, yarns and all sorts of other goodies.Here's Jill and I... and some yarn.

So are you wondering what I ended up with? Well let me just tell you, this particular form of retail therapy was very sweet.DSCN3009
This photo is from my Flickr website. I've put notes all over it to show you know what all of it is. Just click on the picture to read the notes... I'll wait.

I may have mentioned earlier that I was supposed to go to Rhinebeck with Gabe's mom, Diane. Well, we still went together and I had the best time. She is such a sweet lady. In fact, she bought me the niddy noddy for my birthday! I really do love her and I'm glad that she and I are friends despite everything that happened between her son and I.

So, do you think I could resist spinning some of this gorgeous stuff as soon as I got home. You better believe I couldn't!This is the Northern Lights roving that I got. It's sort of like pencil roving but not quite as thin. What a ton of fun this stuff is to spin! I have a feeling I'm going to be spending all my free time working on this because of how fun it is and how awesome it's going to look when I finish!

You might have noticed there was a drop spindle there with all my goodies. It's a Golding drop spindle. I just could not resist. I've been wanting one of these ever since I learned to spin. I took it out for a spin (yes, the pun was intended and I've once again demonstrated what a huge dork I am) and I cannot believe how wonderfully this spindle works. I swear it spins forever! Look at what I've done so far with it.I can spin lace on this thing! Or at least fingering weight which is what it's turning out to be thus far. Absolutely amazing how balanced it is. You may wonder why I bought a drop spindle when I have a spinning wheel. Well, there's just something very relaxing about using a drop spindle. Plus is portable. I would never use it for big projects, just for something quick when I need a spinning fix.

Ok, I think that's probably enough for now even though I have much more to post about! I'll post again sometime this week to finish it all up.

17 comments:

Bean said...

I can't believe how gorgeous that yarn is looking! The rainbow colors are just soooo heavenly. I had a great day with you and Liz. I'll post my pics to flickr soon!

Liz said...

Oooh, that drop spindle is so pretty. And so is that stuff you've spun up!

It was great to see you, and we definitely will come up and visit you in Watertown soon!! I will e-mail you dates I can do it - we'll work something out. Yey for knitbuds!

Katy said...

I enjoyed meeting you at last--and I'm coveting the sweater you were wearing. ;)

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic day you had!

All of that yarny goodness AND beautiful tools, to boot.

The Northern Lights is yummy. What are you going to make with it?

Anonymous said...

Yay! You're welcome. And your yarn is stunning!

Venus said...

I go to Rhinebeck vicariously through you and the other bloggers! What a great haul you got. Sounds like it was good times!

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you on Saturday - your sweater looks awesome in person!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful day!

sarah said...

Oh my gosh. I'm just getting back into blog reading since I've been mia for the past few weeks and I find out about you and Gabe! I'm so sad for you but at the same time I guess it's good that you found out the sort of person you were dealing with before it went on any longer. :( It seems like you're coping ok though and I'm sure Rhinebeck helped a TON. You picked up some awesome stuff to keep you occupied, that's for sure. My thoughts are with you and I hope things are looking up!

Kelly Kester said...

I know I'm late, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your recent break-up :( You sound very strong though- keep up those positive thoughts! I don't know you in person, but just our communication between our blogs has shown me what a kind-hearted person you are- stay strong, and know that you have alot of people in blogland sending good thoughts your way!

By the way, glad you had fun at Rhinebeck- I'm hoping I'll be able to make it next year (where I'm sure the blogger get-together will be in the thousands!)

Jackie said...

What a haul! I covet the yarns, the roving, and the niddy noddy, but mostly, I covet that drop spindle! I can see why you have wanted one for a while. I'm so glad that you had a good time. Have fun spinning!

yarnivorous said...

I'm so glad you had a great time at Rhinebeck. You got a nice little haul too - that Northern Lights stuff looks great! And you got a Golding!

Webbies said...

This midwesterner is going to have to make a trip out east one of these days......what a great time! I have been eyeing spinning lately although I don't know if I have the patience. Now I need to look up what a niddy noddy is!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to stop by and say hi. I've been reading your blog for a fair while now (never commenting... just lurking) and easily spotted you at Rhinebeck (LOVE THAT SWEATER) during the blogger meetup, but I felt like such a stalker at the thought of approaching you that I chickened out.

So..... Hi! *waving hand hello*

Anonymous said...

What?!? How did I miss you? Well, here's another long-distance wave and a hug for ya'!

LisaB said...

Aww man your haul is so lovely! I just love that roving you are spinning up. Beautiful.

Glad you had a great time!

bipolarbear said...

Your spinnig is gorgeous! I gope I can get mine to look that nice. Is that an Ashford Joy?