Thursday, October 19, 2006

A quickie before Rhinebeck

I finished my brother's socks. So there's a huge end that needs sewing up, whatever. I still consider them finished! I really liked working on these. The yarn is the new Knitpicks Gloss. It's really nice, it has great drape, but I wonder whether it's ideal sock yarn or not. I'm interested to see how they hold up. They're merino and silk... I guess we'll just have to see.

Today was an interesting day in class. We got to shot dart guns into a cardboard cutout of a deer so that we could learn how to tranquilize an animal from a distance. We were working with the real thing too. Real darts, real needles. To say the least we had to be careful. Here's me loading the tube with the charged dart.I'm all business.

And of course the shooting picture.Little did I know that I'm actually a very good shot. I've never shot a gun... ok, I take that back, I've gone skeet shooting once and never hit a single skeet. Not one. With the dart gun however, I hit exactly where I was supposed to. We had to aim for the rump because that's where a good bit of muscle is. I was so proud of myself. Dead on, both times.

Sometimes I really do get to do some pretty cool things.

Well, for those of you going to Rhinebeck, I'll see ya there and those that aren't, I'll be thinking of you and wishing you were there too!

8 comments:

C+SK said...

Oh that does look cool!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I hope you're in vet school. Can't think of another occupation that teaches people to shoot critters in the butt with tranquilizer darts.

Oh, and by the way, the stitching looks very uniformin tension on those socks. You must be pretty good at knitting.

Cathy said...

Everybody watch their rumps!

Looked like a fun day. Better than sitting through lecture. I wondered about the wear on that yarn too when I saw the fiber content. But they look great, so that's all that matters I guess. Have fun at Rhinebeck!

Anonymous said...

I hope to see you at Rhinebeck!!!

erica said...

What a wild class that must have been. Any day outside is always a good class though. I love seeing what you're doing in school. It's so different from what I'll be doing in school next fall.

Can't wait to see all of your wares from Rhinebeck.

Venus said...

You look very professional doing that! I'd trust you to get it right. Have fun at Rhinebeck, hope the getting is good.

Anonymous said...

So if anyone is looking to steal your yarn choices, they better watch their rumps!

Good going.

And the socks look great. I hope they wear well.

lesley said...

woah watch out she may be shootingpeople to get at the goodies everypne!!! i like those socks. you'll have to let me know how that gloss holds up. i've been curious!