Tuesday, October 10, 2006

It's all about the socks.

In honor of Socktoberfest I've created a slideshow of all the socks I have pictures of. I can't say that these are all the socks I've ever made because I know for a fact there are quite a few that never had their pictures taken.



Socks are one of my most favorite things to knit. They're quick and easy and when you're finished you get something awesome to keep your feet warm. This is definitely a plus when you live in a climate where it snows before Halloween (yes, it's suppose to snow this Friday...)

I wasn't always good at knitting socks. Like every new knitter, I was terrified of the idea. They just looked so damn complicated that I wanted to stick to things I knew how to make... like scarves. Then I started working at a yarn shop. I was told in no uncertain terms that I'd better learn to knit them because not only would there be customers coming in asking for help on how badly they screwed up their sock, but I'd also be expected to teach a class on sock knitting. I was given a pattern, a pretty basic one as sock patterns go. I remember it called for worsted weight yarn so you can imagine they were super quick... if you knew what you were doing.

I remember after I'd finished my first sock that they really weren't as complicated as they seemed. Even the dreaded kitchener stitch wasn't nearly as terrifying once the rythmn of it became clear and I could see what it was doing. Many aspects of knitting are this way. It all appears complicated, but everything is just a variation on either a knit or a purl... simple as pie.

Even though I'm now a sock knitting veteran there are still so many techniques I've never tried. It seems with socks the possibilities are endless. Just yesterday I bought this book.
(I couldn't believe they had it at A.C. Moore and that they'd let me use a 50% off coupon on it!) Leafing through it is enough to inspire even the most beginning knitter into wanting to make a pair of socks! In fact, it makes me want to abandon the pair of socks I'm working on so I can start a new pair out of the book. It's funny that the prospect of a new pair of socks is enough to make me want to quit the pair I'm working on, but I digress. There is a downside to sock knitting and this can be a real problem if you're as indecisive as I am at times and that's choosing a pattern out of the thousands of possibilities! Decisions, decisions.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely slideshow!
I have been knitting about 1 1/2 years and am a store bought sock fanatic. I am so intimidated by knitting a sock but it would be my dream! I see so many cool patterns! I am going to have to step out on a limb and give it a try. you have inspired me.......maybe;0)

Anonymous said...

What a neat slideshow, I really enjoyed watching!

Anonymous said...

Cool slideshow - and Charlene Schurch's book is one of my favorites ;o)

Katie said...

Well gee, I had a long comment and lost it. This Blogger Beta is messing me up because it keeps trying to log me in with my gmail account. Anyway, I love the slideshow--that rocks. Also, you are a great enabler. I saw your post yesterday and realized I was going to be close to an AC Moore today when I took my daughter to her ped's office, so I printed off a 40% off coupon that I found online and went in search of the book. They had one copy--and I bought it. It's an amazing book, you're right!

erica said...

New sock yarn is also dangerous too. It will make you want to abandon that sock you're working on to try the new yarn. I have a hard time giving away the socks I've made because they all feel so lovely on my own feet, but alas they are too big for my own feet and must go to their rightful owners.

I loved seeing all of your socks.

Jackie said...

I LOVE the blue with the yellow stripe! What yarn is that? Thanks for the slide show. I'm a relatively new sock knitter (One year and Two pairs) but I am working on pair # 3 and loving it. Your new book looks good!

Cathy said...

Don't you just love those 50% off coupons? I bought a stitch pattern book at Joann's with a 50% off coupon last weekend. Happy sock knitting!

lesley said...

fabulous socks girl!

LisaB said...

Love the pics!
Socks are still something I have yet to fully try. I started one but lost interest in the shaping halfway through. I need to find some better patterns!

Anonymous said...

great slide show! I loved seeing all your past socks. Your going to love your new book! It holds so many possibilities

yarnivorous said...

Ooooh, socks :-) I recently was given Sensational knitted socks - I am going to make the Caesar's Check socks as my socktober socks:-)
Lucky you - going to Rhinebeck! Have a great time and say g'day to the other knitbloggers for me :-)