Monday, December 19, 2005

Walking down memory lane...

Thank you to everyone who congratulated me and my new job! I have to say, I'm pretty excited about it. What I'm not excited about is moving all of my stuff up there. I've gotten a little bit of it moved already, but now I have a lot of the big stuff left to move, i.e. my bed, dresser, bookshelf. Speaking of my bookshelf, it was a complete mess, full of old papers, miscellaneous things and pictures. I spent most of the weekend cleaning it off so that I'd only take up what I absolutely want to take up.

I ran into some pretty interesting things while going through everything. Things that I haven't seen in years and some things that I had totally forgotten about. It's funny when you find a letter from a guy who you knew in high school professing his love to you and how he's always had a "thing" for you... and you don't even remember getting this letter... hmmm.. And then there was "the box." You know the one, the one where you keep all the old letters and pictures of old boyfriends, not to be opened for at least a year or two after you've broken up. Boy did that bring back memories. Luckily it only brought back good memories. It's funny, I know for some of those my heart was totally broken, but now when I think back on it and look at all the old letters, I don't feel anything but nostalgia and fond memories. It's interesting how after a few years you completely forget the bad times and all that's left are the good.

And then there were the pictures. Oh my god the pictures. Some made me cringe, some made me smile and sigh and others made me laugh my butt off. Those all went into a box to be sorted someday in the future when I'll cringe, smile and laugh again at them.

It was fun and frustrating at the same time to go through all of those things. Fun because it's always fun to go down memory lane, frustrating because everytime I ran across something I'd take a few minutes, sometimes more to reminisce on it, all the while knowing that I really didn't want to spend all weekend going through this stuff. And then there were times when I would stand in the middle of the room, look at the piles of crap all over the floor and feel so overwhelmed because I didn't know where to go from there so I'd just stand there, for minutes at a time not doing anything and then I'd get mad at myself for not doing anything and then I'd feel overwhelmed again...vicious cycle. Those were the times when I just had to walk away for a little while and do something else. God organizing and purging your stuff can be frustrating.

All-in-all, it turned out fine. I got rid of the things that basically made me say "why the @#$% do I have this?" And kept the things I thought I could use or were really sentimental. It really felt good to finally get rid of some of that stuff. Sometimes you just have to sit on those things for awhile, because you know after a few years, they are no longer sentimental anymore so you can get rid of them then.

So, in a totally unrelated topic, we had a huge ice/snow storm here last Friday. I'm a bit peeved about it because the final that I had on Friday has now been rescheduled for this Wednesday. I just wanted to take it and get the whole thing over with, now I have to drive back up there just to take the one test. Oh well, I suppose it's ok because it just means that I won't have to spend as much time at work on my last week! It feels so good to say that this is my last week of work here! Thank the lord!

As far as knitting goes, I finished my brother's socks and started a pair for my dad. Unfortunately I didn't work on them as much as I wanted to because I spent most of the weekend organizing and not only that, but my hands started hurting a little when I was working on them. I think it's because they're such tiny needles (size 1's) and I'm trying to go faster than I should. I've got to be careful with that. Don't want to put my hands out of knitting commission, where would I be then?

No comments: