Friday, September 30, 2005

No title Friday...

You all are simply the best. I knew knitters were supportive, I knew that even if you absolutly think that vegetarianism is complete bull, you'd still be supportive. What I didn't know was how many of my blog friends were vegetarian as well. A special thanks to Erica for sending me some veggie recipes. Anyone else interested in sharing their favorite veggie recipes with me can e-mail me at erleca81AThotmailDOTcom. I can use all the help I can get! Thank you all so much for your support.

This week has be absolutely crazy. Busy beyond belief. I would have posted sooner, but I just haven't had the time, or the opportunity, or the internet connection as it turns out... I was driving down the driveway the other night intent upon getting online and doing some blogging and e-mail reading, when I was stopped. Right in the middle of the driveway a huge tree (and when I say huge, I mean it was probably 7 or 8 feet around) had fallen down from the wind. We've had some nasty wind these past couple of days and this tree couldn't take it I guess. After parking my car, walking around it, and walking the rest of the way down the driveway (my driveway's about a 1/4 mile) I get home to find the tree knocked out the phone line and I therefore couldn't get online. So it's not entirely my fault that I haven't posted!

In a completely unrelated topic...Yesterday in BIO lab I felt like Elliot from ET trying to save the frogs. I honestly had a very strange battle going on between my moral sensibility and my sense of responsibility to my classwork. Our assignment was to see what different sorts of creatures live in different soils. So we dug up samples from the field and samples from the forest, brought them back into the lab and sifted through them to find the critters. Problem was we weren't just supposed to sift and look through the dirt, we had to take the critters out and put them into a medicine bottle full of alcohol.

Part of me said "You're going to be killing these bugs and worms for no other purspose than to study and count them when they were perfectly happy living their life until we went in and dug them up." and the other part of me said "You have a responsibility to your school work and to your teacher, so just suck it up and deal." In the end, my moral side won out, plus my teacher told me I didn't have to do it if I didn't want to, I wouldn't get any penalties taken off my grade as long as I was an objective observer. People probably thought I was crazy because they're just bugs and worms, but I just finished reading those Jane Goodall books (which I think I've mentioned about a million times now!) and her voice was in the back of my mind. She even mentioned something about worms in her book! How could I go and kill them? (My lab partner was pretty understanding, and I think by the end I must have been wearing off on him, because he found a big worm in one of our samples and he took it and put it back outside!)

Anyway, in knitting related news, I've picked up for the lining of the mittens. I (hopefully) will be posting pictures of that progress soon. The baby blanket is coming along, though I am getting a little tired of the pattern which I specifically picked because it's simple... way to think ahead on that one. Had it been complicated, at least it would have been interesting! Ah well...

For those of you who are planning on Rhinebeck I hope to see you there! I've just recently decided to go, even though, being a broke college student, it's going to be torture to look at and feel all the wonderful fiber when I know I can't take any of it home with me! *sigh* ... such is life I guess. At least I'll be able to look and maybe meet some of you wonderful people!

No comments: