Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Is that a tranquilizer dart in your ass, or are you just happy to see me?

School was eventful today. And by eventful I mean, I got to see a raccoon have a tranquilizer dart shot into it's hind end. This wasn't exactly what was suppose to happen today. It was supposed to be an uneventful day spent out around the zoo, familiarizing ourselves with where all the animals are and how to get to them quickly, then spend a little time observing whichever one we wanted to.

Well, a couple of us noticed the bobcat acting a little funny, as if it was really interested in climbing up one of the poles that holds the mess fencing up. Later, when we passed the bobcats again, we noticed why. There was a raccoon up at the top of the pole. This caused a huge stir when we told the staff about it.

I got to be the lucky one who watched the raccoon and made sure it didn't run away (how, exactly I was going to do that, I have no idea, so it's a good thing it didn't go anywhere) while the vet went to get the tranquilizer darts. They even gave me the walkie talkie. You know you've reached a new level when being the one to hold the walkie talkie makes you feel special.

Unfortunately, class ended before I could find out how the whole raccoon situation played out. All I really got to see was it being tagged by the dart. But still, that's not something you see everyday. And this is only day three!

No comments: