Friday, July 14, 2006

The most random posting ever....

Fortunately, almost all the randomness revolves around fiber....

First off, the frump...



Oh sure, it looks semi-decent from this view, still maybe a little bit big, but possibly something I could live with...





You really don't get the full effect until I show you a little side view action...

Ah, there it is... frumpy, frumpy, frumpy. Not even a little bit flattering on me. Oh well, you just can't win them all right? I still haven't thought of a recipient for this yet, but I promise, once Christmas rolls around I'm sure I'll be very happy it didn't end up fitting me!

Which brings me to my next totally unrelated and slightly random topic... Sushi. I am a vegetarian.... most of the time... the only exception I make is for sushi, and that's only very rarely. I'm talking once every couple months rare. And when we're talking sushi, it's probably best that I only make an exception once every several months because that stuff is expensive. So, Gabe, a couple of his friends and I went out for sushi on Wednesday. Normally, this wouldn't be something to blog about, but on this particular occasion I found something so incredibly blogworthy it isn't even funny... or maybe it is... How's this for a boat-load of sushi?



And if you're wondering, that is an actual boat of sushi. I couldn't even fit the whole thing into the picture because it was so big! We all definitly got a kick out of that. The food was excellent. I've never been so stuffed eating sushi in my life! The exception, I must say, was worth it on this occasion.



So, my next topic switch brings me to laceweight yarn. Particularly merino laceweight yarn sent to me by Toni. Bloggers are the most giving people ever! She sent it to me because I mentioned in a comment that I wanted to try the Trellis scarf from IK, but that I really didn't have much of a yarn budget! How sweet is she? Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I'm thinking about dyeing it a darker color, but that won't be until I actually find some time. It seems this is the busiest summer I've ever experienced and this is in no way me complaining about how busy it is, just an observation.

So, are we ready for another topic? Let's talk about how much I love Koigu... I love Koigu so much, I may never use another type of sock yarn again! Yes, my love for Koigu was brought on because I totally gave in and started a pair of socks. All my good intentions for starting Christmas presents went right out the window...

But just look at it! I swear, I am endlessly entertained by how the colors are turning out and playing off each other. It reminds me of a garden in spring when the greens are still light and new and the flowers are just starting to bloom. I've never been so poetic about a pair of socks, but apparently Koigu does this to me!

I'm making them toe-up so I can make them as long as the skein will go. I'm not wasting any of this precious stuff!

Well, folks, it's time for my last topic. Spinning. I've been spinning a little bit recently. Let me be more specific. I've been plying recently. To be honest, I was inspired by the Koigu. It's a two ply, but the spin is very tight, yet it doesn't wrap in on itself. I wanted to sort of recreate something like that. I've been working on this fiber for my friend, Bean, that she bought at Rhinebeck last year. I have to say, I'm very happy with the results.

I'm tempted to say that this is some of the best stuff I've ever spun. It's very even, and I'm just so proud of it. I still have a few ounces left to spin up. Hopefully I'll be able to do that before the summer ends. We'll see.

That's all for the random post!

No comments: