Thursday, July 20, 2006

The funny thing about Colorado....

There are actually quite a few funny things about Colorado, but one of the ones that is most apparent to me is it's lack of humidity. It's definitely what you would call arid here. A couple of things I've noticed that really illustrate the dryness is my sinuses are not loving it here. The only relief they've had this entire time was the two or three days where it rained non-stop... ahhh... it felt great. It was funny because I overheard people talking about how humid it was and how sticky they felt.... they don't know sticky... Growing up in Maryland, I know what hazy, hot and humid really means.

Anyway, another demostration of arid Colorado is the lack of condensation on cold glasses. This totally threw me for a loop. I know the glass is cold because there are ice cubes in it, but everywhere else I've been, a glass with ice cubes in it is also accompanied by sweaty condensatoin on the sides of the glass. Strange I tell you.

The third, and probably most peculiar thing that really shows me how dry it is here is this....

Notice the wavy, curly hair? I have never in my life experienced curly hair. My hair is not curly. At least that was true up until I came here.

Now most people who have somewhat curly hair experience the frizz and curliness when it's extremely humid... not me. I've air dried my hair before in NY and it never looks like this. In fact, it looks rather limp and sad. But here, let it air dry and poof! Curly hair.

The only thing I can think of that would possibly do this is the lack of humidity. You see, my hair is very fine and anything can weigh it down. I figure, it dries so quickly here that the water in my hair never gets the chance to weigh it down. It evaporates within fifteen minutes of getting out of the shower. In NY, it takes a good hour for my hair to air dry.... truly, truly strange...


Oh... did you come here for knitting? That's right, I sometimes forget this is a knitting blog... so sorry...

I finished the first Koigu sock...

I am in love. I decided to make it up as I go. I put some cables in the leg and just knit until the first skein ran out. They fit great and they're so comfortable and they're just gorgeous if I do say so myself!

I've started the second which I'm sure will be done within a week. Hmmm, then what do I start? Ah, the eternal question of which project to do next... at this point... it's a mystery.

No comments: