Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I left my heart in Colorado

I hadn't said anything about this earlier, mainly because even I wasn't sure what was happening. Now I know and now I can tell you, however, it may need a little bit of back story.

When I was in high school, I dated a guy for nearly two years. Considering how young and immature most people are in high school, two years is a really long time. Not only did we date for such a long time, we were in love. There's just no other words for it. Just about the time when I was going off to college (he still had one year of high school left) we broke up. It's been so long now that I don't remember the actual details as to why but it positively broke my heart. I spent most of my freshman year in college depressed, but eventually it got easier and the days between thinking about him got more numerous. I thought I had gotten over him and in many ways I had, but he was always in the back of my mind.

At this point, I don't really remember how it happened but probably a year or two after we broke up he called me, or I called him, I don't really remember, but ever since then we've talked maybe twice a year. Around Christmas he'd always come home to see his family and I'd be home visiting my family so we'd get together for dinner and just catch up on how the last year has been for each of us.

Every time we'd get together it threatened to stir up old feelings for me, but knowing that it just wasn't an option (either I was with someone that year or he was, or it just wasn't the right time) I'd pretty much squash those feelings the minute I felt them. That is, until this year...

This Christmas we got together like we always do, but something was different. That invisible line we never use to cross had disappeared and it was just us. And then he kissed me. Apparently he had felt the same way I had been feeling, but we didn't really talk about it. We both just sort of knew.

We made plans for me to come out and visit him in Colorado. It was probably the best trip I've ever had. Not only did the scenery take my breath away, but he did too. We finally talked about everything we'd been thinking about and everything we'd been feeling and now I can tell you with confidence that I left my heart with him in Colorado and I took his home with me.

No comments: