Tuesday, April 05, 2005

New York in the Rain

D and I went to New York City this past weekend. Though it wasn’t at all spur of the moment for him, it did take me up until Thursday to decide if I wanted to go or not. In hindsight, I gotta say it was a great decision.

We went because one of his roommates from college is moving from NY to San Francisco in a week. When confronted with the choice to either drive to NYC or fly to San Francisco, I’d say that driving the 3 ½ hours is probably the cheaper of the two. Of course, with gas prices the way they are, I might be wrong. Anyway, it was fantastic. We left Friday afternoon, stayed through until Saturday afternoon and then drove home. I never knew you could pack so much into just one day, but we did!

Saturday we went to the International Auto Show (see, I knew I’d be dragged to one of those eventually, though I have to say it wasn’t half bad.) I got to see the new Honda hybrids, which I covet. Someday, Honda hybrid, someday. D got to see the new Shelby Cobra mustang which he covets, and we both were happy in our own car heavens.

D had asked me before we left if I wanted to go to the top of the Empire State Building. Seeing how I’d never been to the top I said sure. Unfortunately Mother Nature had it in for us that weekend. You couldn’t even see the top because it was so cloudy and oh, did I mention the rain? So we nixed that idea and decided to go from the auto show right to dinner and then home. The crappy part was the auto show was on the other side of town from the place he wanted to take me to dinner and there was a torrential downpour with gale force winds going on outside. Fun stuff.

Armed with nothing but our flimsy collapsible umbrellas we headed for the subway which was about halfway between the show and dinner. I don’t know if I’ve ever been so unintentionally wet in my entire life.

D stopped us on our walk (if you’d like to call it a walk, I’d like to call it the most exhausting trudge through the wind and rain. And wrestling a flipped inside out umbrella is a treat I can tell you!) I didn’t realize we were outside of the Empire State Building until he clued me in. Then he said “I wanted to tell you this at the top, but since we aren’t going up anymore I’ll tell you here…. I love you…”

*Swoon* - that was me by the way! At that point I completely forgot about the rain and the wind and the fact that my pants were soaked up to the thigh, if you think I’m kidding take a look, see that line, yeah that's a water line...

I was happy there in our little umbrella cocoon and I don’t think I stopped smiling for the rest of the night. And I’m not just talking the little smile either, I’m talking the grin from ear to ear, make your cheeks hurt smile. Maybe it was just my imagination but it seemed that the rain let up a bit then and it wasn’t nearly as burdensome to walk to the subway.
Here’s the subway shot, notice the soaked hair but just don’t give a damn smile?

Yeah, it was a great day.

What’s that you say? You came here for knitting? Oh, ok, I’ll show you some knitting. Here is Retro Prep #2 all finished…

Ok, when I say all finished, I mean, totally ignore the fact that there are ends to be sewn hanging down from the sleeves. Oh, and pay no attention to the grey turtleneck which obviously looks horrid and I’d never wear under it. I was at work and it seemed like a good time to take the picture.

I’ve also been working on a little something for D. I made up this chart while I was bored at work (bored at work? Psssha, that never happens…. Note the sarcasm) You just gotta love Excel…


And I started it in the car on the way to NY…

It’ll be a scarf when I’m finished, but I can’t guarantee I won’t go crazy when I get to the plain stockinette stitch part. However, I can’t really start anything that’s too involved before I go to England. That’s t-minus 7 days and counting by the way! I think this will probably occupy me until then, whaddya think?

No comments: