Thursday, April 28, 2005

Just the beginning...

Where do I even begin? I suppose the beginning would probably be a very good place don't you? First off, the day before I left I received a nice little package in the mail from Keri. Totally unexpected surprise there. Look what she sent me...

It is some delicious hand-dyed merino wool. Yummy! I obviously couldn't wait to do something with it. Just look at the colors... mmmmm

I first tried Branching Out, but the colors made it hard to even see the lace so instead I started a mini-Clapotis. Sorry, no picture there because I didn't get very far... I was working on my Dale sweater. I promise those pictures will be coming soon, it's just I have so many to show I have to do it in stages.

Well, we arrived in England and I can't even begin to describe to you how tired I was... I think I was up for about 30 hours with only about three hours of sleep on the plane. Ouch. But after a great night's sleep of about 13 hours (I never, ever, sleep that long and I'm shocked that I actually did) we were ready to actually start sightseeing.

First off, let me show you a picture from outside my window...

Tell me that isn't exactly what you would expect a London street to look like?

Our first day out we went to the Tower of London and toured around there a bit.

So it's not exactly a tower, more like a fort, but definitely interesting. This guy was our tour guide...

And this it what it looked like when you first walk past the gates.


Are you getting the historical feel yet? I sure did, it was like something straight out of the middle ages. Very cool.

Some of the other sights we saw that day were....


The London Bridge... I wasn't expecting the blue parts (if you clink on it to enlarge it you can see them) but the insides of the stone towers is all steal. They just built the stone around it to blend in with the London architechture.
Then there was...

Big Ben, who was every bit as big as you might expect. Notice the gray clouds. Yeah, it was pretty dreary. All of these pictures are from the same day so you can see how quickly the weather changes over there.

We also saw this from the river boat cruise we took...

It's the Globe Theater (or Theatre, whichever way you want to spell it) where Shakepeare's plays were performed (obviously reconstructed several times because those thatched roofs sure wouldn't have stood the test of time.)

And then there's this one which has a very funny story to it...

That's mom and me on the river boat cruise. Why is it funny you ask? Because this is about the tenth picture we took and the only one that came out because mom kept closing her eyes everytime the picture was taken. We finally figured out the reason. My camera flashes two times and she would close her eyes after the first flash... We had a good laugh about that one.

So that was the first day... More to come I promise!

No comments: