Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Kicking off 2005 with........ mittens

First off, I wanted to thank everyone who left me such nice comments on my last entry. It's so nice to get back into the swing of blogging again! I feel like it's been so erratic recently, but looking back, that's exactly what it was! Who on earth has a completely calm and orderly holiday season?

Now that said holidays are over we can go back to our regularly scheduled programming.... I finished up those mittens for my nephew on Sunday.

Did I say mittens? I meant finglerless gloves with a flap to go over the fingers. You see what knitting a hundred pairs of mittens will do to you? I have mittens on the brain I tell you! But then again, I think you all already knew that. And it looks like there will be more mittens in my future. My aunts saw the mittens I made for my grandmother during our little present party we had on New Year's Eve and guess who wants pairs for themselves now? Yep, and not only that, but my uncles tried on the pair I made for my brother.... and you can just imagine where that led....

In fact, I've already bought the yarn for them, except I've almost run out of the angora that I line them with so I'm gonna have to stop by some discount yarn website to try and find some. I think the best part about this, besides the fact that I obviously have an unholy love of making mittens, is the fact that my mom is commissioning me to make them for her so she can give them as gifts. That's fine by me! Not only do I get to get my mitten fix for the next couple of months, but I also get payed for it! Someone should really talk to my mom, she's fueling my habit and that's just not right....

I'm actually planning on taking a bit of a break from the mittens for a little while though. I might experience mitten burnout and nobody wants that. So I'm going to be chugging along on my mom's sweater for a little while. This is how far I've gotten as of last night...

You can kind of make out the lattice pattern... It's actually been going really well. I honestly thought that knitting an entire sweater on size 3 needles wouldn't grow as quickly as this one has. It's always nice to be pleasantly surprised don't you think?

I'm feeling the need to knit something for myself soon. Don't get me wrong, I love making all these gifts, but I also think I really just need to make myself something after all the gifts I've made for the holidays. I'm not even sure I can remember the last thing I made for myself. Anyway, I might have to go searching through the stash to find a little something. So don't be surprised if you don't see any "mitten cakes" for a little while.... Of course, I know I've said that before and we all know where that led.....


2 comments:

Meg said...

Your mittens are amazing! I'm so impressed! They all just look so spectacular.

I also love the debbie bliss! is it a dream to work with!? every time i go to the lys i admire it... its just SO SOFT!

Maureen said...

I am still drooling over the picture of all the mittens. I need a kick in the butt to start a pair of them.That is great your Mom wants to commision a few pair.