Saturday, July 14, 2007

Zoo, poo and a couple of socks.

My sister and her family came up to visit me. It was a great time seeing my nephews and I was really excited to show them some of the awesome animals I get to work with at the zoo. Like Aasha...And the tigers...And my favorite, the rhinos...It's so much fun to see the kids get excited about the animals I work with. It only helps to make me that much more excited! Kinda like how going to a stitch and bitch makes me excited and inspired by knitting because I'm surrounded by people who are just as obsessed with knitting as I am!

The boys really loved all the things I showed them up close, though they seemed to get the biggest kick out of the elephant going to the bathroom (admittedly it is rather impressive, poos the size of soccerballs and all) Why is potty humor the funniest kind?

So in knitting news, I actually finished a pair of socks that I don't think I ever showed any progress pictures of. Some might say, they're the longest socks I've knit.By the way, the black speck in the middle is supposed to be there. The yarn is something I picked up during that yarn crawl I went on and it has those dark specks all through it, though that one showed up particularly well in this picture.

I decided to go plain in terms of pattern, mostly because the yarn was great all on it's own. I bought two skeins and basically knit a whole skein for each sock, toe up. They really turned out great and they're super comfortable. So far, it definitely has been the summer of socks for me!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the colorway of your socks.

I think boys never grow out of bathroom humor.

Bean said...

Looks like they had a great time at the zoo! Can't wait to come up again next weekend. Oh yeah- I'm so jealous that you've finished those socks. I'm still not done with mine, but I'm making way on Scott's scarf at least.

Paper Tiger said...

You get to work with the big kitties?!? I am sooo jealous! Now I wanna come visit too!

(I just learned that the rhino's horn is made of compressed hair... at least according to Wikipedia!)

Mary said...

Petting a rhino...how cool is that!

Knittripps said...

Love the new summer socks! The Des Moines Zoo is having a special exhibit right now called The Scoop on Poop or something like that. I believe they must be targeting a certain age of children, boys in particular :)

Anonymous said...

I bet the boys loved having their own tour guide!
Lovely socks, the colors in the yarn are spectacular : )

Anonymous said...

That is such a cool thing - for kids and adults alike! And the socks look great!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that yarn knit up beautifully! They look so comfy too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great day - you are so lucky to get to work with all the wonderful animals!

JessaLu said...

Love the sockage!

You seriously have one of the coolest jobs, evah! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks! And rhinos! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! I want to pet a rhino :)