Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Obsession doesn't begin to describe it.

These past couple of weeks I have been, for lack of a better word, obsessed with cross stitch. I don't even know what started it. On a whim, I picked up a kit from the craft store while I was buying yarn... I don't even know what made me think to get it, but I did, and now I'm totally obsessed.

I haven't started working yet (don't get me started on how nervous that makes me in the money department... incidentally, today is my first day back and it's really only for filling out paperwork and starting on some extra training I need) so while Gabe is at work I've had to entertain myself. Usually knitting does the trick for me, but not this time. You see, with knitting, I need something else to occupy my mind while I do it and this usually involves movies or TV. Well, we don't have cable here (which I'm actually quite happy about, I can't stand commercials and it's been really nice to not have to see any!) and for some reason, I haven't felt like putting on any movies. That left me with my cross stitch.

I made be dim witted for saying this, but it totally occupies me. I just love seeing how each of the colors fits together and plays off one another to create an image. I was endlessly entertained by that.

Yesterday morning I finished all the actual cross stitches and all that was left was the detailing. I didn't think I'd like the detailing as much as I liked the stitching, but you know what? I loved it! So much so that I finished it by yesterday afternoon.
The minute I finished it I was itching to start another one. I haven't felt this way about any craft in a long time. Don't get me wrong, I still love my knitting, in fact, I worked on that tank after I finished this because my hands really needed to be doing something. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be shortening the length on that and making it less of a tunic and more of a regular old tank top, but anyway...

I was thinking I'd give this little cross stitch away for Christmas. I washed it and blocked it and all it needs now is to be stretched onto some cardboard, matted, then framed.

I'm thinking, I'm going to be heading down to the craft store before work to see what else I can find.... oh... it's evil...

No comments: