Friday, December 02, 2005

Big News!!!

I am so excited about this big news that I was barely able to sleep last night. In fact, I spent the better part of two hours trying to convince myself that I really should be sleeping and I'd have plenty of time to think about all the things going through my mind later. Preferably during a time when I'd normally be awake.

I did finally fall asleep only to wake up early and start right where I left off... thinking about how exciting this is and trying to organize in my mind how it would all go... I do that, I'm a mind organizer. I think of all the possible angles of a situations, what could go wrong, how will I do this or what will lead to that, etc, so that I'm fully prepared and not taken by suprise if any of the things I thought of happens. Of course, the down side of this is that it's very exhausting, especially when it's your bedtime and you really have to sleep so that you can at least be a half-way functioning human being at work the next day.

And then I thought, screw work! this exciting news directly affects work and how long I will actually still be there. Which, in my perfect world, would only be another two weeks, but in the real world I'm sure will end up being a month to a month and a half.

So do I have you on the edge of your seat yet? Are you just dying to know what is so exciting that it could keep me up all hours of the night? Ok, I'll tell ya. A couple of friends and I have put down a deposit on an apartment. A really nice apartment, with new carpets, a new fridge and stove and a very lovely and quite large livingroom. And did I mention we have our own balcony?

It seriously couldn't have come at a better time. One of my roommates is desperate to move out of the apartment she's in because her current roommate is terrible (think: leaves dishes in the sink with food still on them for weeks at a time). My other roommate is also desperate to get out of her apartment, if you can call it that. It's basically a medium sized room with a tiny galley kitchen and a bathroom without a door. That's it. And me, I need to move up there for lots of reasons. The weather is starting to turn and the thought of driving through lake-effect snow seriously gives me a mini-heart attack. Also, I'd save a ton of money on gas and I'd be able to volunteer more at the zoo. And a ton of other reasons.

We just turned in the application today and if everything is alright (which I'm sure it will be) the apartment will officially be ours! It's the perfect location too. Halfway between the zoo and the school. Talk about perfect!

The reason I can't just go to my boss right this very minute and tell him I'm done!, finito!, no more!, is because, at this point in time, it's my only source of income and rather than rely on my nest egg, I should work until I find a job up there. I think it shouldn't take too long especially since I'm looking for a waitressing position. It's the only thing that will get the money I need for the hours I can put in.

So, my dear friends, wish me luck in finding a job quicker than the Yarn Harlot can whip up a sweater for Rhinebeck!

No comments: