Thursday, June 23, 2005

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes...

I know I haven't posted in a little bit. I can tell you it seems like a lifetime since I've posted only because I have made a huge decision in the past week.

I had a conversation with an old friend which open my eyes a bit. I realized that I have no goals. And by goals I mean something I'm working for at this particular time. Not life goals like having kids some day (though that is a goal, it's not one I'm pursuing at the moment). I've just be idling allowing life to take me where it will without me having any say in the matter.

After many hours of soul-searching and introspection I realized I need a change. A change that will better myself and take me one step closer to following a dream I was always too scared to persue. That's my problem you know. I think about doing something and then scare myself out of it by the "what if's." No more of that.

I have decided to go back to school. In fact, just yesterday I sent in my application and transcript requests. I did a bit of research into becoming a zoo keeper/zoologist and come to find out a community college an hour away has an Animal Management program that will give me the experience and education I need to do this. It's an A.A.S. degree which basically prepares the student for working right after getting the degree. But if at the end of the program I want more education there is a tranfer program to another school about 45 minutes away for a full four-year degree.

It seems like a funny time to do this (I did just buy a car after all) but actually, it's the perfect time. I'm not tied down by a mortgage, kids, marriage. I bought a very fuel efficient car which will save me with the commuting. I have very supportive parents. It all fits. And if I don't do it now, I'll never do it.

True, it means a lot of hard work and I'll probably have to get a couple of part time jobs to accommodate the schedule, but really, this is one of the most exciting things I've ever done for myself.

Wish me luck! If I don't get into the program this fall, I'm going to have to wait another year!

No comments: