Monday, January 28, 2008

Socks for mom...

Have you ever had one of those projects where you're grabbed by it and it just doesn't let you go. I've been working on one of those recently.

It's my mom's birthday in a little over a week and I've had this idea that I'd like to spin some yarn, then knit some socks out of it for her. I've been working on that for the past couple weeks whenever I could find some spare time.It's a merino/tencel blend that I bought at Rhinebeck last year. The colors are perfect for mom. I overspun the singles quite a bit because I wanted a tighter plied yarn.
Plying multi-colored singles like this is always so much fun because you never know which color is going to end up next to another color. It was interesting to see that, quite often, similar colors ended up next to each other. This is easy to see once it's been knit...
One sock down, one more to go. I know she's going to love these!

I also finished up a little something awhile ago. I haven't posted about it because I still don't have any modeled shots of it, but here it is blocking on my bed...
You can see I wasn't 100% accurate in how straight I made the edges... perhaps I should invest in some blocking wires!

8 comments:

Knittripps said...

What a lovely idea for a present!

I've been thinking about investing in blocking wires myself.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful spinning - the yarn is just gorgeous, and such a thoughtful gift too! =)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous spinning - and lovely socks! Your 'little something' is also very pretty! :o)

oh and I love my blocking wires...but I love the blocking frame my Dad made me for Xmess even better. ;o)

erica said...

The socks are lovely, I'm sure your mother will love wearing them. I can think of nothing more inviting than a pair of hand-knit hand-spun socks!

I love my blocking wires, I find that I use them for almost everything now - shawls, sweaters, afghans.

Laurie (Moo!) said...

I love your spinning. And the socks will be great!

I love my blocking wires but, if you don't have the bucks for them who's going to see that it's not perfectly straight when you're wearing it? :-)

I know you're one busy gal but I gave you an award and didn't want you to miss it. :-)

Leigh said...

What yummy handspun! And what a gorgeous scarf! As always, your knitting is superb.

Jackie said...

I'm sure that your mom will love them! Who wouldn't?

LisaB said...

Such beautiful spinning! I am amazed at the ability to do that.
Your mom will surely love them. :)