Thursday, March 08, 2007

A question of motivation...

The incredible lack of things to do in this town that don't involve stuffing my face with greasy food or getting hit on by military guys has given me an awful lot of free time to work on some knitting. True, I have school work, but even that hasn't been taking up much of my time. The first half of the semester has been somewhat of a joke. I feel like I have senioritis, not because I want to, but because more than half of my classes get let out early or cancelled all together and now it's what I'm used to.

I have to push myself to get motivated to do something, but there's always seemed to be one thing on the back of my mind that I never have to push myself to do...

Lace knitting...50 inches down, 20 more to go. I am officially addicted. I've even gotten to the point where I've practically memorized this 36 row repeat pattern. It sounds amazing, but it's not as impressive as it sounds. There's a flow to the pattern that's easy to pick up.

I'm thinking about spending a bit more money at KnitPicks and getting myself some more lace weight to make some other patterns, and then possibly (if my addiction continues) try to design my own pattern.

13 comments:

erica said...

I love lace knitting, there is such a rhythm to it that's lovely. I find it so relaxing at times, other times I question my sanity. The ooh's and aah's from other people when I wear my lace scarves and shawl are what keep me motivated at times. Check out A Gathering of Lace from the library, it's a lace knitters dream.

Knit Diva said...

Oh your Lace project is so beautiful. I haven't dove into lace knitting yet. It looks a little intimidating.. Maybe some day. Ü

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! :o)

Lisa said...

pretty! I started my first lace knitting project that actually got beyond the first five rows then I messed up and had to rip back. :( I haven't gone back to it, but I was enjoying the fun of seeing the pattern come alive! ;)

Anonymous said...

Where do you live again? It sounds like you're talking about my town, hehe! ;)

The lace looks gorgeous, it's so addictive isn't it? I can't wait to see it when it's blocked.

Anonymous said...

It's looking so pretty!

Venus said...

Oh wow. Does that ever look good! If you're like me, once you finish you'll wish you hadn't because you'll miss the flow of the pattern. I guess that's what the next project and purchases will be for though!

Knittripps said...

There is nothing at all wrong with having a lace love affair! I have been trying to get myself back to a lace project ever since I knitted Branching Out for the Knitting Olympics. I love the colors you are using! I am looking forward to seeing it open up after blocking.

Anonymous said...

I am so in love with what you are knitting right now. Lace knitting is so addictive, I'm obbsessed with it, and i'm glad that you have jumped on the bandwagon!

What needles are you using? I heard that the new addi lace needles are great, but I haven't used them yet. The ones in the picture look similiar to the addis...

Anonymous said...

Are any of the military guys cute? And of course, your knitting is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

your scarf looks amazing! Lace is addicting, isn't it : )

Webbies said...

Wow, you are really cooking! I wish my lace was going that quickly! What size needles are you using?

Anonymous said...

I still haven't gotten into lace knitting...I'm always tempted though, because of all the gorgeous lace yarn! oh, and your sweater looks FANTASTIC on you! Very classy and a great fit (love the sleeve length too)