Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Cats: Love them, hate them

I truly can't imagine ever living without cats. There's just something about them. They're independent, but will seek out your attention. They're aloof, but can only hide the fact that they want to be near you for so long. And there's nothing quite like knitting while a cat sleeps on your lap. It's undeniable how much I love them.... however, they have a dark side.

They steal your yarn. Not only that, but one cat I live with in particular will pull finished sweaters off my shelf and drag them into the living room. As if the yarn itself was not enough to appease his curiosity and playfulness, he needs the finished product. And now, he's turned evil... pure evil. He's taken to destroying my knitting books. Case in point:I'm sure many of you know how expensive Rowan books are. I won't even ponder that particular fact at the moment. Right now I'm concentrating on not killing him.He looks so innocent looking up at me doesn't he? Don't let him fool you. He's got a devil inside and it's hell-bent on destroying my knitting things. I've taken to putting everything even remotely knitterly up on high shelves. Luckily that's deterred him for a little while. But books??? Seriously, what's so fascinating about a book that would make him want to rip the crap out of it? That question will probably go unanswered. After all, I don't speak cat.

I haven't let it get me down though. In fact, I've finished all the pieces of my sweater.Hopefully I'll be showing you a finished Va Va Voom very soon. We'll see if I get my schoolwork finished with lots of time left over to sew this thing together.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Va-Va and Vavoom! Can't wait to see the finished sweater.

Wesley explained this to me. He loves to jump onto my desk and, like a baseball player diving into home base, slide into all of my books and patterns. The lower he can bury himself in them, the better.

They smell like Mama. Mama likes them. Ergo, HE likes them.

It doesn't help but it distracted you from the killing, didn't it?

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of the cat...that cat looks like it has a plan...keep it away from that sweather you're making!

Anonymous said...

Ugh I can totally relate the having demon cats. When DH and I went to disney, I came back to find my favorite sweater (from Ireland, no less) with a big hole in the middle... one of the cats actually licked a hole into it. I didn't feel bad when she had indegestion.

Anyway, Va Va Voom is spectacular, I love the color, and I am so excited to see it finished!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the finished sweater, it looks lovely in pieces. I'm allergic to kitties sadly, but my dogs do the same thing. I came home the other day and had strewn my knitting ALL over the place!

Bean said...

That cat needs to see the tip of a steel-toed boot very soon..... At least Hemi is *usually* okay.

Miss you!

Jackie said...

Cats! I had one that did the same thing to some books that someone had lent me. He also peed in my fabric stash and attacked my other cat who was recovering from a cracked spine. He and I soon parted ways. Thankfully, he was a very pretty cat and I had no problem finding him a new home. I also have a friend who has a cat that LOVES cardboard. And lettuce.The common factor is indoor cats. Do you think that he may be missing green things in his diet?
Bug was the perfect cat for a fiber person. She would leave fiber things alone. Never chewed my books or papers. And seemed to be totally uninterested in yarn. May her spirit visit your beasty and whisper in his ear.

Sweater looks good. I am impressed, as always.

Anonymous said...

ohhh bad cat!
Maybe he is trying to tell you that he desperately wants to knit?
Can't wait to see your finished sweater! : )

Anonymous said...

Eeek! That is a big hole too.

Our guy Mike has been in a bit of a grump also. Lots of things torn up.

Knittripps said...

Little stinkers! I love my cats to death but sometimes they are very naughty. Talking to them and explaining the importance of yarn and knitted objects does little.

Anonymous said...

My little B is being quite a bit of trouble herself lately. Not with crafts, just with attacking Shawn and his dog. :( I'm hoping she'll adjust soon. I just hug her defensively whenever she does something wrong. :) and tell Shawn she's not going anywhere! So yeah, love em, hate em. That's cats I think.

Webbies said...

Oooh, can't wait to see Va Va Voom in action, I think it will be fabulous....oh no, not the rowan, not my rowan buttons (think Shrek and gum drop buttons)

Leigh said...

Ooooo, naughty kitty! I have one like that too, though it's mostly my knitting notes that are in shreds (not books fortunately.) Can't wait to see that sweater put together!

Venus said...

Oh, holy crap. Look at what that little beast did to your knitting book! It's a good thing you love your cats so much! Can't wait to see Va Va Voom finished!

LisaB said...

Va va voom looks great so far. Can't wait to see it completed, I bet it will look great.

Love the cats, but sometimes they are such troublemakers. I just recently discovered a tear in the new cloth blinds we installed recently. Don't want to think about how much those cost us. Argh! But they are cute... :)